Exploring the Cost and Convenience of DIY Plant-Based Milk: A Sustainable Experiment

Posted  on March 16, 2024

Plant-based milks have surged in popularity, yet they often come with a higher price tag compared to traditional cow's milk. Lucy Sherriff delves into whether it's more economical to craft her own.

I've long boasted that I embraced plant-based milks before they became trendy. Due to a dairy allergy since childhood, my options were once limited to a particular brand of soy milk - a thick, slightly sweet, gray liquid. But times have certainly changed. The array of plant milks available today is overwhelming, accompanied by controversy such as an EU-wide ban on using dairy-like names for these products.

This popularity is fueled in part by consumers' increasing interest in sustainable food and drink options. Aviva Musicus, adjunct assistant professor of nutrition at Harvard's T H Chan School of Public Health, notes that plant-based milks attract those concerned about climate change, aiming to reduce their dietary carbon footprint.

A 2018 study found that producing a glass of dairy milk results in almost three times more greenhouse gas emissions and uses nine times more land compared to any plant-based milk.

Despite their popularity, plant-based milks remain significantly pricier than dairy milk. Coffee shops often levy extra charges for dairy-free options, and in US supermarkets, plant-based milk averages $7.27 (£5.73) per gallon, compared to cow's milk at $4.21 (£3.32) per gallon. This price difference is partly due to the dairy industry's long-established, efficient supply chain.

However, plant-based milks also have environmental impacts. Musicus's research suggests that not all plant-based diets offer the same health and environmental benefits. For instance, almond milk, a favorite dairy-free choice in the US, has faced criticism due to California's water-intensive almond farming practices and their negative impact on bees. Rice and coconut milk also present environmental and ethical concerns.

Oat, hemp, and soy emerge as more eco-friendly alternatives. But cost influences dietary choices, prompting the question: can making plant-based milk at home be a solution?

I embarked on this sustainability challenge and discovered that, although homemade milk can be more expensive than store-bought options, the process was surprisingly enjoyable and straightforward. I relished the control over sourcing and ingredients.

For my experiment, I decided to try hemp milk - known for its watery consistency and peculiar aftertaste. While sourcing hemp seeds required a trip to a larger supermarket, the preparation was hassle-free. Unlike nut-based milks, hemp milk required no straining. I blended the seeds, water, and salt for one minute. The resulting flavor was earthy and nutty, with room for improvement - perhaps a hint of vanilla extract and a couple of dates could balance it out next time.